Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween!











I'm big into not paying money for Halloween costumes. Growing up my family was famous for the not so great costumes including a sign made out of an old cereal box that said "Pencil Neck Geek" or my favorite, me wearing my mother's sweatshirt---and that's it. I was about 6 or so and I couldn't decide what to be and my mom hated halloween so she was no help. It came time to join our friends for Trick-or-treating and she was fed up with my indecision and forced me to wear her sweatshirt which went down to my knees and well over my hands. When asked at the door "what are you, little girl" my only response was " I'm wearing my mom's sweatshirt. Thus sums up my halloween experiences. I had a great time, don't get me wrong. In fact, all it did was solidfy my belief that I don't need to spend money on halloween in order to have a good time. Alyssa first year we made her into a mermaid, last year I made a poodle skirt out of an old baby blanket of hers and some cotton balls and crafty stuff I had around the house, and this year I spent a total of $1.50 on an tank top from the good will. I made her fairy wings out of wire hangers, old nylons, and crafty stuff I had lying around the house. Thanks to a cute tootoo that Nana sent her awhile back we completed our little "Fairy" look. We had a great time at our Ward's trunk-or-treat and Alyssa loved the plastic vampire teeth that she won at the carnival games.




1 comments:

Aubrey said...

I skipped Halloween this year for that very reason. I would rather spend money on a new pair of shoes than a Halloween costume. She looks so big and grown up. How does that happen?