Thursday, August 26, 2010

Crocheting

I don't have a picture to reflect this super cute new obession. But...I have picked up yet another 80 year old lady hoby. I used to crochet a little years ago and then dropped the skill. I figured between crossword puzzles, talk radio, and judge tv shows, I was just one hoby away from picking up a walker, twisting my hair in a bun, and using baby powder as perfume. Anyway, with the soonish arrival of a new baby I thought that I would resurrect this skill and make a blanket like my mom made me. So I have been practicing patterns by making little baby blankets for Alyssa's dolls. Just yesterday Alyssa wanted so badly to join in on this addicting task and wanted her own hook and yarn. So I cut off a length and got her a mechanical pencil as a hook and set her to work. She spent the next 30 minutes crocheting herself a "banky" (blanket). In the end she had a clump of knotted yarn that had been bundled up, unknotted (by mommy), and rebundled a half a dozen times. She held it up so triumpantly. It was beautiful--and I made sure I made a big deal about her lovely "banky".

So the old lady gene is strong in my little girl. Sorry Ben. But as I remind him everytime he makes fun of me sitting under a lamp in my chair at night crocheting up a storm--when the nuclear wars begin and there is no fabric to be had at least our children won't freeze. We will have afgans galore!!!

1 comments:

Aubrey said...

Take a picture! I actually want to learn to knit so maybe that makes me an old lady too.